If you have previewed the primary ballots for the upcoming election, you may have noticed something very interesting. The Democrat delegate candidates clearly indicate which presidential candidate they are committed to. On the Republican side, there is no information of any sort. How would you know who to vote for? If you have never looked at the opposite party's ballot, there's a good chance you didn't even know there was a difference. Since there has been so much debate about delegates this year, this information seems to be of great importance, yet it has not been provided. Several calls to the Erie County GOP have gone unanswered.
Who are the delegate candidates and who will they support?
The list of delegates we choose from is based on the US Congressional district we live in and voters in North East are in the 5th district. The Centre County GOP near State College, PA is also in the 5th district and they sent a questionnaire to the delegate candidates asking them for some biographical information and how they planned to vote. Three candidates did not reply, but the rest gave detailed answers and it is very important for you to know where they stand. If you are a Trump or Cruz supporter, you would obviously not want to vote for a delegate already committed to the other candidate.
I have linked the entire document here, but here is a summary:
Delegates: (UPDATED 4/25/2016 @ 5PM)
- Joyce Haas - "I will cast my vote for the winner of the 5th Congressional District."
- Scott W. Schreffler - Will support whoever wins the 5th Congressional District
- Richard J. Chura - Choice of Cruz campaign according to Ted Cruz delegate list
- Lyle Stewart - Choice of Cruz campaign according to Ted Cruz delegate list
- Shelia Fitzgerald Sterrett - Will support whoever wins the 5th Congressional District
- James Feuer Klein - Choice of Trump campaign as noted on Trump PA website
- Ash Khare - Choice of Trump campaign as noted on Trump PA website
- Barry Kroeker - Choice of Cruz campaign according to Ted Cruz delegate list
- C. Arnold McClure - Choice of Trump campaign as noted on Trump PA website
- Justin Gallagher - Justin would support the choice of the people of the 5th Congressional District and vote for the candidate who won the district.
- C. Arnold McClure - see above
- Shelia Fitzgerald Sterrett - see above
UPDATE - Political mailers are confusing and misleading
Some mail arrived today (4/21/16) from New Day for America asking voters to support three specific delegates, Haas, Sterrett and Khare. New Day for America is a PAC (Political Action Committee), but there was no indication who they support for president, so I went to their website and they are for John Kasich. The mailer said it is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee, but because they call out these three delegate candidates by name, are they implying these delegate candidates support Kasich? All of the information I have found say they will vote with the popular vote in the district.
This is the sort of confusing and sometimes contradictory information voters have to deal with in PA. The delegates should have their own web sites or official statements declaring how they intend to vote. As it is, we're still flying a little blind.